4.27.2011

A funny thing happened on the way to my Mother's

The thing that has kept me from starting this blog is where to begin. I still have no idea so I'm just going to jump right in and share the details as I go. I've always wanted a cast. No, not a high kicking song belting broadway crew. I'm talking about the thing you get when you haven't quite mastered the monkey bar cherry drop and you have to be rushed to emergency for x-rays and crutches, that kind if cast. I can remember clutching this leg or that arm and howling for my mom to take me to the emergency room because I was sure it was broken this time. And don't even get her started on the time I refused to move my arm for a whole day begging for an x-ray so I could finally get that plaster trophy (and the sympathy I deserved) only to break form at the last minute when the doc balanced the patient file on my head and I snatched it out of thin air as it slipped off. Whaddya know? A miracle.
Turns out a cast was never in the stars for me. The are some questionable nose injuries but no proven breaks. Flash forward from attention seeking youth to (reasonably) responsible adult. Whilst walking (practically skipping on my way to a shopping trip with my momma) down the stairs in my garage I step precariously over the loose cans of green beans and creamed corn rolling around at the base of the step. Wait, you all don't have loose cans of vegetables in extremely dangerous pathways in your houses (or garages)? Oh come on where's your sense of adventure? I step at a ridiculously odd angle, feel my ankle bone touch pavement while I am still standing, and hear a loud POP! I immediately find myself face down on the cold hard gray.
I've heard of your life flashing before your eyes in times of crisis. What I haven't heard of is horrible stories of other people's terrifying injuries resurfacing during your own maladies. My brain instantly conjures the story my brother told of a guy whose leg bone went out the side of his ankle and stuck into the mud. (funny no?) So I lay there sure that the minute I get a look at my leg the bone is going to be looking right back at me,and cursing my brother for ever telling me the story in the first place. Those big brothers, they should be footing all the therapy bills I think. I finally get up, hobble back indoors (with some hubby help) and decide whether I want the embarrassment of going to the urgent care. You see, it's not nearly as exciting when you're (ahem) thirty something as when you something-teen. And you know the sympathy is only going to get you so far before the kids are whining for snacks and you are crutching it around the kitchen trying to decide if it's responsible to take your pain pill at nap time and risk sleeping 3 plus hours longer than them.
A word to the wise, no matter how many attempts you have at telling your "I tripped over the disgusting mess at the bottom of the stairs that shouldn't have been there in the first place" story no one cares how emphatically you insist that even though the cans were there you are pretty sure you didn't actually step on one. Why I Locked on the particular importance of getting this across to anyone and everyone I had to relay the story to is still a giant mystery to me. I became crazed with pointing out that, yes I am lazy enough to leave cans there that should have been picked up a month ago but no, I am definitely not stupid enough to step on one. Why? Weird. It became the lead line of the tale, "well, there were some cans at the bottom of the stairs but I DIDN'T step on them." If I was embarrassed about the mess you would think I would change the whole setting "well, you know, I was rescuing a kitten while helping the elderly when I stepped around a ladybug to avoid crushing it and, oops, down I went." whatever, I guess I'll have to stick with the stupid can story, but I didn't step on one.
Well, after a couple of hours in the urgent care (twenty bucks and three x-rays later) it was just a bad sprain. No cast for me. It felt sort of odd to experience relief instead of disappointment at the news. Like I had given up on my last childhood dream.
And that's it , my first blog post. My idea is just talk bout things that make me laugh that I think will make you laugh too. So sit back, relax and enjoy the hilarity that ensues.

4 comments:

  1. Good start to your blog, Brenda! I still haven't started mine because I can't seem to get past the clever name part.

    Sorry you got hurt. Very bad sprains can actually hurt worse than a break! But you told that story with sticom-like hilarity!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT! Looking forward to more :) Thanks for the laugh today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I could think of was yay! food storage, good job Brenda! I didn't even occur to me to wonder why it was at the bottom of the stairs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes hilarious. Sorry for your pain but great start. You (and your entire family) are hysterical and I can't wait to read more. Keep em coming.

    ReplyDelete